Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Why Are You Crying, You Have Me!

 


1Samuel 1:8(NLT)

“Why are you crying, Hannah?” Elkanah would ask. “Why aren’t you eating? Why be downhearted just because you have no children? You have me—isn’t that better than having ten sons?”

“Lord I’m struggling – I know I have it within me to do better. Help me!”

Twenty years ago, I remember being on my knees, balling my eyes out, on the floor of my one-bedroom apartment. I was so distraught about where I was in my life. I had envisioned so much better for myself, but it seemed that I was very far from the place I had imagined. When I awakened the next morning, I realized I had slept the whole night on the floor. This was a very challenging time for me in my faith and in my life, but when I read 1Samuel 1:8, I felt instantly comforted. It helped to ease my worries and fears. Life can be overwhelming at times, and we often find that we simply don’t have it within ourselves to rally courage and strength. It is so wonderful to know that God is good and having Him on our side is all we need.

During biblical times, a huge part of a woman’s worth was predicated on her ability to bear children. If she was barren, she might face public ridicule, and in some cases, her worth as a wife was greatly diminished. Hannah found herself in this position. She had been childless for such a long time, but her husband, Elkanah, was not angry towards her for not giving him an heir. He did not divorce her but endeavored to be good to her. Not wanting her to cry and be downhearted, he reminded her of the good things he had done and how well he had cared for her.

Hannah still agonized because she felt insecure and disappointed for not giving her husband a son. She was in so much emotional distress that she went to the tabernacle and cried out to God. She told Him that if He would answer her cries and allow her to become pregnant with a child, she would give the child back to God. 

In our day, it is very unlikely for a woman to be scorned or ridiculed for not being able to have a child. However, the pain and anguish are still very real for some women, because they desperately want to become mothers. This is a very hurtful issue for them, but there are also other issues that women are dealing with in their relationships. Some women are dealing with domestic violence and abuse and may be feeling hopeless and dealing with deep sadness about their circumstances. Just as Hannah did, we must recognize that we can go to God with our pain.

Hannah has given us an invaluable lesson in understanding God’s power. Her example teaches us that Heavenly Father responds to us when we seek Him first. Hannah recognized that no one could solve her issue except God. He is the way to find peace, and He will give us the loving tenderness we need.

As women, we sometimes look to the significant person in our lives to rescue us. We expect them to recognize what we need and then fulfill those needs. No human being can do this in and of themselves. God works through individuals to bless us, and we must never get it confused that we are blessed through Him. Hannah understood this, and in 1 Samuel 2:1(NLT), she praised God and said, “My heart rejoices in the LORD! The LORD has made me strong. Now I have an answer for my enemies; I rejoice because you rescued me.”  Hannah knew from whence her deliverance came. It did not come from her husband, it came from trusting and believing God, that what He promised, He was also able to perform. 

God tells us in Hebrews 11:6 that we can’t please Him without faith. We must meet Him in this place of faith when we go before Him in prayer. He hears our cries; He knows our hearts’ desires, and He certainly knows our pain. Heavenly Father heard Hannah’s cries. He delivered her from the anguish of being barren, and she believed He would. She had a son and named him Samuel. 

Ephesians 3:20(NLT) declares, “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” Our Heavenly Father is in the business of blessing His people beyond what we could ask or think. He can far exceed your expectations. This goes to show us that as we surrender all our cares, worries, concerns, and heartaches to God through the Lord Jesus Christ in prayer, He will show us how much He loves us. He will answer our prayers and help us when we place all our faith in Him.

Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

“Why Are You Crying, You Have Me!”, written by Kim for https://rescuefromdomesticviolence.blogspot.com© 2021. All rights reserved. All praise and honor to God through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unresolved Hurt

  After a recent conversation with a woman about her fiancĂ©, she realized she’s carrying a load of unresolved pain from her past relations...