Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Lessons of Love and Heartbreak


2 Corinthians 12:9(NLT)
“Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.”


The first time I remember reading 2Corinthians 12:9 was in my late twenties. I was going through a very emotional time and was trying to mend my brokenness. I had an emotionally wrenching breakup with a man that I cared for very much. As with any couple, things were not always easy. We had tough times, but had gotten through most of them, and I truly believed he was man that I’d share my life with, but he didn’t feel the same way. This left a void in my life, and if you’ve ever experienced heartbreak like this, you know how terrible it can feel and how much you want the hurt to stop. It was during this time that 2Corinthians 12:9 brought tremendous comfort, because I knew I needed God’s strength and grace to get me through.

Both my ex-boyfriend and I were Christians. We were adamant about pursuing the things of God and living by the example of Christ. Through most of our relationship, I thought we were on the same page, that we were both preparing for the likely possibility of marriage. I was wrong and ended up being crushed. I couldn’t understand it. Everything had felt so right, and it didn’t make sense for things to fall apart the way they did. As I waded through all the emotions and hurt, I did what must of us do when we’re in the shock of heartbreak; I asked, “God, why did you let this happen to me?”

Proverbs 14:12 tells us that there is a path that seems right, but it ends in death and destruction. None of us really believe we’ll choose this path. We think to ourselves that we’re intelligent and astute enough to not make decisions that end badly, but life really doesn’t care all that much about our intelligence. God has designed life to respond to the truth, so what matters to Him is that we are humble. Our humility keeps us on the right path.

How does it do this—how does humility keep us on the right path? Jesus Christ tells us that without humility, we can’t enter God’s Kingdom; it’s just that important! 1Peter 5:6(NLT) tells us, “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.”  The greatest lesson we can learn about hurt is how to trust God to get over it. The other very important lesson is revealed to many of us in hindsight. After our hearts are broken, we realize the extent to which we must lean on God, so that we make decisions that are guided by Him. Even when we think a person has all the attributes that would make him or her a good spouse, we simply can’t know this to be true. Only God knows who is best for us. If we humble ourselves before Him and ask for His guidance, He will help us make the right decisions.

It was not an easy process of getting over the hurt of this heartbreak, but I prayed a lot, and most importantly, I trusted God. I trusted His Word. Psalm 46:1(NKJV) says, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” This verse is my reality and I’m so thankful. It will be your reality too if you trust Him. During the process of God healing my heart, there were times when my mind drifted to doubt and dismay. I had the kind of thoughts can distance you from the understanding you need, but the Spirit of the Lord comforted me. The Lord taught me patience and humility. Through His process, I learned another important spiritual lesson; and it perhaps is the one that most keeps my feet from falling into another trap. I had allowed another human being to be the center of my emotional strength. I depended on another person to do for my soul what only God’s love can do. Lordship belongs to Jesus Christ and no other, and when we humble ourselves to this reality, our healing will be long lasting and life changing.

We don’t have to be defeated by heartbreak. If we pray, obey God, and lean totally on Him, He will elevate us far above the heartache we’ve experienced. The Lord wants us to walk in victory and have a happy life. He will bless us to have a fulfilling relationship that will last, and we must never doubt this. It is natural to mourn the lost of something that has meant so much to us, but we must not campout in misery too long. We should give ourselves a little time to mourn, but then we must remember that we serve a God that gives us grace and mercy. His power works best in our weakness, and as we are committed to move further in His Will, at the right time, He will lift us up and cause us to our heartbreak to fade away.


Scripture quotations marked (NKJV) are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved. 

Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

“The Lessons of Love and Heartbreak”, written by Kim for https://rescuefromdomesticviolence.blogspot.com© 2020. All rights reserved. All praise and honor to God through Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unresolved Hurt

  After a recent conversation with a woman about her fiancĂ©, she realized she’s carrying a load of unresolved pain from her past relations...